With its classic golden sandy beaches, a plantation culture combined with a relaxed tropical way of life, Mo Bay, as it is affectionately known, is a celebration for the senses. Yet in Jamaica’s Montego Bay, there’s much more than beaches awaiting the tourists that choose to visit this little corner of heaven. Apart from the beaches and all the fun in the water that goes with them, you will also find lots of cultural options, as MoBay boasts a history that dates back more than four centuries: picturesque villages just outside the city, parks, fabulous golf courses plus a host of excursions to explore the exotic surroundings. This area of Jamaica is packed with things to see and do!
Montego Bay became famous as a spa resort due its well-known Doctor’s Cave Beach, a favourite spot with celebrities and visitors from around the world due to the supposed healing powers of its mineral waters. Anyone that bathed in these crystalline waters would be ‘cured’. This reputation led to the construction of numerous hotels around the beach. Today, Doctor’s Cave beach continues to attract thousands of visitors in search of fun and relaxation. The facilities include restaurants, shops, hammocks, sun umbrellas and all the services you would expect on a fully-equipped beach. There’s no question about it; wherever you choose to enjoy the sea and sand in the Montego Bay you’ll find a beach that’s nothing short of extraordinary!
Another charming and bustling spot on Montego Bay is Walter Fletcher Beach, site of the Aquasol Theme Park. In addition to the magnificent fine sandy beach bathed by calm waters suitable for little ones, you’ll also find water trampolines, jet skis, banana boats and wave runners, as well as a choice of restaurants and bars.
Practically the whole of Montego Bay forms part of the Montego Bay Marine Park, an ecological reserve covering approximately 15.3 square kilometres.
The park was founded in 1991 in order to conserve the extraordinary wildlife and landscapes of this ‘underwater tropical forest’. As well as the superb marine life, it is also home to a wide range of fauna that live side by side with the residents of this fascinating area.
If you’d like to go diving, then don’t miss a visit to the following:
· Montego Bay Marine Park.
· The Widow Maker, a coral reef inside Montego Bay Marine Park and one of the most famous in the region.
· The Airport Coral Reef, a great choice for beginners facing Montego Bay Airport.
· The Point, for expert divers only.
· Basket Reef. The name comes from the huge basket-shaped sponges to be found here.
· Cayman Trench Wall, one of the most spectacular spots for divers, as well as for lovers of sport fishing, as this area boasts a number of marinas offering sport fishing and deep sea fishing services.
Don’t miss a visit to the amazing Rose Hall Great House, one of Jamaica’s greatest cultural attractions. This historic 19th century house hides a sinister past as it was once the home of a white witch. It has now been restored to its former splendour and features an exquisite décor, marvellous furniture and carefully-tended period gardens.
Montego Bay is also the departure point for a number of great excursions, several of which are listed below:
· Excursions to the Luminous Lagoon at Falmouth.
· Tours to the region’s rivers such as the Great River or the Martha Brae, including raft trips on the calm waters of these rivers.
· Zip-lining is another fun activity in these mountain landscapes filled with exotic vegetation set against breathtaking backdrops.
· Visits to the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary, a haven of peace and tranquillity, home to many of the region’s species of birds.
I’d say you won’t have time to feel bored, wouldn’t you agree?
“IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts has three 5 star holiday complexes in Montego Bay: the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, the Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall (adults only) and the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Hotel. Luxury accommodation options offering a choice of mouth-watering gastronomy, a packed entertainment programme for all the family and fully-equipped luxury facilities that guarantee you will enjoy your holiday in Jamaica to the full”.