We would like to suggest that you spend Christmas in Madrid. The capital of Spain has a lot of interesting things to offer and here goes a list. It’s up to you to choose because you won’t be able to do everything:
· Huge nativities: There are nativities on display at the Palace of Cibeles, the Casa de la Villa, Museum of St. Isidore and the Museum of History of Madrid.
· Very original Christmas flea markets: From among all the flea markets (there are so many that we can’t list them all here), there is one that has become a classic, the wig market at Plaza de Santa Cruz, close to the traditional market of the Plaza Mayor.
· Go ice skating: Madrid has many ice skating rinks. You’ll be able to enjoy them especially if you travel with kids, but also if you go on your own. In the surroundings you can usually buy chocolate, churros, potato chips and warm cups of chicken broth.
· Enjoy the Christmas lighting in Madrid: Thousands of LED lights decorate the main quarters of this city that never sleeps.
· The New Year’s grapes at the Puerta del Sol: In Spain it is traditional to greet the New Year eating 12 grapes to accompany the 12 gongs of the clock at the Puerta del Sol that announce the beginning of the New Year. There’s nothing more genuine than actually being there to start the year in style!
· Seeing the Three Wise Men: At the cavalcade in the evening of January 5th in Madrid you can see the Three Wise Men of Orient. Carriages, dancers, candy… we all go back to our childhood. Watch out for candy flying in the air!
· Where to eat the best roscones de Reyes: The most famous of these pastries are made at Horno de San Onofre and Pastelería Mallorca. The former, considered one of the best in Madrid, is our top choice.
· The San Silvestre Race: This is the most famous race in Spain, held on December 31st. If you never find the right occasion to get in shape, this is a good time to use the sneakers you got as a present last Christmas and show everyone that this time you can rise to the challenge.
Does it sound like a good plan?
“The Hotel IBEROSTAR Las Letras Gran Vía is an avant-garde hotel on the Gran Vía in Madrid, conveying the personality of a home for writers with suggestive services such as the informal haute cuisine, rooms with a Jacuzzi on the terrace, gymnasium and nearby parking (not included in the price of the hotel), among others. Thanks to its excellent location in Madrid, the IBEROSTAR Las Letras Gran Vía is an excellent starting point for enjoying the theatres and musicals on the Gran Vía, the museums in Madrid, the streets of the Writers’ Quarter….”