According to the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), tourists on the move in the year 2015 reached a figure of 1.133 billion, twice as many as in the year 2000. The Top Five of the countries with most visitors is the following:
- France: At number one of the most visited countries in the world in 2015 is France—where else? Last year France welcomed a staggering 84 million tourists. Now of course we are speaking of France and Paris, the City of Light, romance and the Eiffel Tower, unsurprisingly the most visited monument in the world.
- USA: 75 million visitors in 2015. New York is one of the most visited cities in the world, always renovated, fun, diverse and futuristic. And USA also offers you the legendary Route 66, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, many theme parks, the sunny beaches of California…
- Spain: Despite being the smallest of the Top Three countries, Spain received a hefty 65 million visitors 2015. Spain has so much to offer: modernity, culture and a great entertainment offer in cities such as Madrid and Barcelona; history in Toledo, Granada, Caceres or Seville; impressive beaches along its miles and miles of coastline; microclimates such as that of Malaga, with 300 days of sunshine every year; the beauty of the Balearic and Canary Islands; traditions and cultural manifestations going back through the ages; distinctive popular feasts such as San Fermín and La Tomatina; the best and most varied cuisine in the world; and especially the fact that Spaniards sure do know how to have fun!
- China: The fourth most visited country in the world is China, with 56.6 million tourists. Its history and culture captivate travelers from all over the world, who arrive seeking to discover the charms of Hong Kong or of enigmatic destinations such as the Great Wall of China. China is a country filled with secret corners and remote lands that are worth exploring.
- Italy: With 48.6 million tourists, this European country invites travelers to discover several of the most beautiful cities in the world, for instance Venice and Rome. Other cities such as Milan or chaotic Naples and the island of Sicily portray a country whose North and South have very little to do with each other.
“Enjoy over 100 IBEROSTAR hotels in 16 countries across the world.”