· For its coast: Beaches of all kinds and colors scatter our coasts, from large sandy spaces to small and pretty coves. If we add to this the attraction of an average 300 days of sun per year, who could resist?
· For its mountains: Surprise! Surprise! Spain is the second most mountainous country in Europe, after Switzerland. Mountains on which to ski, go trekking, enjoy fantastic hotels…
· For the food: Paellas, tapas, cold cuts, cheeses, freshly-caught fish… not to mention the fact that we boast the best restaurant in the world. El Bulli of Ferrán Adrià has passed on the baton to the Catalan Celler de Can Roca!
· Roman ruins and Arabic palaces by the score: What was once the old Hispania left us incredible Roman ruins throughout the peninsula. Some, in fact, such as the Roman Theater of Mérida, are still used for performances during its Festival of Theater. The Arabs governed Al-Ándalus for almost 800 years and their influence is seen in everything, from the language to some of the most famous places in Spain, such as Granada’s Alhambra.
· Local fiestas famous worldwide: Bunyol’s Tomatina and Pamplona’s San Fermin attract more than 100,000 visitors in search of a good time each year!
· Amazing cathedrals and thousand-year-old mosques: Gaudi’s modern masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia, and the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela are international pilgrimage sites. Not to mention the Mosque of Córdoba, one of its kind in Europe and a World Heritage Site since 1984.
· Fun water parks: The best known and most incredible is Lago Martiánez, an oasis of sea water, palm trees and volcanic rock in Tenerife; it is a real work of art!
· Free food when you order a drink: Serving a tasty bite to eat when someone simply orders a beer or a glass of wine is a purely Spanish custom. Particularly in the small cities, it is perfectly possible to dine simply by ordering drinks.
· You can eat meat grilled on a volcano: On the volcanic island of Lanzarote you can spend the morning climbing the volcano in Timanfaya National Park and later enjoy a meal cooked over an open volcanic chimney.
· And the incomparable Mediterranean style: It is much more than the myth of the siesta. The culture of long family meals, relaxing Sundays, summer vacations on the coast just a bike ride away, beers on terraces… it is undoubtedly a lifestyle with many followers.
And there are sure to be many, many more reasons that make Spain the ideal vacation destination!
“IBEROSTAR Hotels&Resorts has hotels in Andalusia, Majorca and the Canary Islands that guarantee the perfect conditions to experience some fantastic vacations.”