- 1 1/2 cups of raw fish
- 3 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of laurel or oregano
- 3 cloves (to taste)
- 2 cups of rice (long grain)
- 4 tablespoons of oil or butter
- 3 garlic cloves or 1/2 an onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons rum
- 4 cups of fish stock
- 1/2 teaspoon of annatto or food colouring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Marinate the fish in the vinegar or lemon juice, and add the salt,
pepper, cumin, crushed cloves and laurel or oregano.
Soak the rice in some of the fish stock.
Approximately one hour before serving the rice
fry the crushed garlic cloves with the chopped
onion in the oil or butter. Add the tomato sauce and
fish, along with the marinade. Leave it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the rum, stock, salt and annatto. When it starts to boil
add the soaked rice with salt to taste. Cover it
and cook it on a medium head for around half an hour.
When the rice is soft, lower the heat
and summer for 15 more minutes. Serve it
straight away. This recipe serves up to 6 people.